Friday, October 19, 2018

Internet is for everyone blog

The two challenges facing the internet that are the most important to me are:

Internet​ ​is​ ​for​ ​everyone​ ​-​ ​but​ ​it​ ​won't​ ​be​ ​if​ we are not responsible in its use and mindful of the rights of others who share its wealth.

It is common to see bullying and harassment of others online, as it is easier to do (could be anonymous, or just someone hiding behind a screen) On social media sites people can be very hurtful to others, and this type of behavior will cause the victim to not only be personally/emotionally affected, but also be less inclined to use the internet out of fear. Those who are bullying people off of the internet are, in a way, denying the victims access to its wealth of information and benefits. I have seen people be bullied online quite brutally, and even though no physical harm was done to them, it was just as bad, if not worse, than bullying in the "real world", so working to make the internet a less toxic place will encourage others to use it and share ideas.

Internet​ ​is​ ​for​ ​everyone​ ​-​ ​but​ ​it​ ​won't​ ​be​ ​if​ its users cannot protect their privacy and the confidentiality of transactions conducted on the network.

I can relate to this because my family has been affected by a privacy issue, in which some of our banking information was stolen online and fraudulently used. Working to secure networks and transactions should be a top priority, as people's money can be wiped out by someone sniffing traffic over a network, or accessing databases. Privacy is another issue, with the amount of targeted advertisements and mass data collection on the internet, it is becoming harder and harder to maintain any form of privacy on the internet.

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Field Trip Blog Post

   I thought that the field trip was very informative and relevant to our class, as visiting the museum introduced us to encryption and fundamental computer topics, such as the enigma machine. I enjoyed doing the activity where you type words into the enigma and change the settings to translate it. I believe that if some topics were a little shorter, then it would be easier to follow, as I found myself losing focus towards the end, such as the video about the history of the site. Having experts in the field come speak to us was also beneficial, however I believe that it was too centered on his personal career rather than the field as a whole. Taking the short walk around in the beginning was also cool as we got to see the various radio equipment that was used here throughout the years. Overall I thought it was a good experience, and would recommend it to other classes (history classes).

Thursday, September 27, 2018

Fahrenheit Lab report

In this lesson, I learned how to write a program that takes a Celsius value (in float form) and converts it into Fahrenheit by using the formula F=C(5/9)+32. The check50 and style50 commands were useful in showing you the results they were seeking so you could change your program accordingly (such as changing the float to have just one decimal place by typing %.1f) This was helpful in using math with given inputs.

Friday, September 14, 2018

Lab report (hello)

This lesson was meant to show me how to work within the IDE, such as how to use the terminal to write commands that do various things such as create folders, files, and compiling your program. In C, we were taught basic things you need to add in your code before you do anything. The cd command will take you to a new directory, ls will display content in each directory, and make will compile your c program. To open a C executable, you start it with ./ As for coding, we learned how to write a simple string that says “hello world” we learned how to use \n at the end of the string so that it puts your string on a new line, which is important for having a clean looking program.

Here is the code we wrote

#include <stdio.h>
Int main(void)
   Printf(“hello world\n”)

Sunday, September 9, 2018

Ask adult about computing innovation

I asked my mother what she thinks is the most important computing innovation to her, and why. She responded by telling me that an important innovation was the email, because it allowed her to conduct business from home, and communicating/sending messages to people was much more convenient. This is similar to the response I provided, which was that Powerschool/Google was important because it allowed me to manage my workload from anywhere I go, and made communicating/collaborating more convenient. They are also both examples of software with an interface users interact with via their computer, rather than a tangible piece of computing equipment. One difference is the versatility. While you can use email for a variety of communication purposes, the school software mostly limits you to only conducting school-based work.

Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Blog Post

A computing innovation that impacts me is Google Classroom/Powerschool. When I was younger, you had to wait for report cards and meetings to see how well you are doing academically. and with Powerschool, I could now view and manage my grades so that I can see what I need to do in class. With programs like Google Classroom, you can see assignments, collaborate with classmates, and contact your teacher all from the comfort of your home. These programs made homework much more efficient, and greatly improved my time management. A con of Powerschool is that with the constant access to your grades, it can become more stressful than beneficial, and leads to me becoming reliant on Powerschool rather than reaching out to teachers about my grades. Google Classroom or other assignments can be poorly explained, and hard to follow for hands on subjects such as math that require good explanation. These online programs have certainly made life easier.